Yoga, the benefits it brings to the body and mind
If you did today downward dog yoga position , you will probably feel more relaxed. Regardless of your level of experience, if you practice this discipline regularly you will be able to feel better in every aspect.
Yoga brings multiple health benefits and is suitable for people of all ages . The United States Army, the National Institutes of Health and other large international organizations have validated the scientific research that attests how the practice of yoga is a valuable support in health care .
Numerous studies show the benefits of yoga exercises in fight against arthritis, osteopenia, in solving problems of balance, obesity and weight loss, in oncology and in the therapy of chronic pain .
All you need is a mat and the right clothing to practice yoga.
The benefits of yoga on the body
The Yoga relaxation techniques , as we have seen, reduce suffering in people suffering from chronic pain, such as back pain, arthritis, headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Yoga can too lower blood pressure and reduce insomnia .
But there are many other benefits that yoga gives to those who practice it regularly:
- increased muscle elasticity
- increased strength and muscle tone
- better breathing, energy and vitality
- maintaining a balanced metabolism
- weight reduction
- cardiovascular health
- improvement of athletic performance
- greater protection from muscle injuries
The benefits of yoga on the mind
Aside from the positive effects these exercises have on the body, one of the best benefits of yoga is the help it gives a person in manage stress , which is notoriously devastating to the body and mind.
Stress can reveal itself in many ways: back or neck pain, sleep problems, headaches, and an inability to concentrate. Yoga is very effective for develop the ability to listen to your body and achieve a more positive outlook on life .
The pairing of meditation and breathing helps improve the mental well-being of a person. Regular yoga practice creates mental clarity and calmness, increases awareness of one's body, relieves chronic stress patterns, relaxes the mind, sharpens attention and sharpens concentration.
There Body and self awareness are particularly beneficial , because they can help detect physical problems early and allow for preventative action.
8 benefits of yoga practice on body and mind
Below is a list of benefits that yoga brings to the body and mind.
1. Improve strength, balance and flexibility
Slow movements and deep breathing they increase blood flow and warm up the muscles, while holding a position for a while helps improve strength .
Try the “tree pose”:
- balance on one foot, while keeping the other foot on the calf or above the knee (but never on the knee) at a right angle.
- Try to focus on one point in front of you while balancing for one minute.
2. Helps relieve back pain
Yoga is ideal as basic stretches to relieve pain and improve mobility in people with lower back pain . The American College of Physicians recommends yoga as a foundational treatment for chronic back pain.
Try the “ Cat-Cow ” Stretch:
- Get on all fours, placing your palms under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Inhale and let your stomach drop to the floor.
- Exhale as you push your navel towards your spine, arching your spine like a cat stretching.
3. Relieves arthritis symptoms
It is proven by a John Hopkins Medicine study that yoga is gentle relieves swollen and painful joints in people with arthritis .
4. Benefits heart health
Regular practice of this discipline reduces stress levels and inflammation throughout the body, contributing to maintain a healthier heart . Many of the contributing factors to heart disease, including high blood pressure and excess weight, can be addressed and resolved through yoga.
Try the downward facing dog position:
- the body should form an inverted V or triangle, with the top toe represented by the hips, while the hands and feet form the bottom corners.
- Maintain a slight bend in the knees as you lengthen your spine and sacrum.
5. It relaxes you and helps you sleep better
Research shows that regular yoga sessions at bedtime can help prepare the mind for sleep and to prepare the body to fall asleep.
Try the “legs against the wall” position:
- sit on the ground and lift your legs and feet up resting them on a wall, leaving your head and back on the floor and your buttocks attached to the wall.
- Stay in this position for 5 to 20 minutes.
- improves blood circulation in the legs by reducing inflammation and fatigue;
- relaxes the nervous system because it relieves muscle tension;
- favors correct inhalation and exhalation, which become slower and more rhythmic;
- relieves muscle tension concentrated in the stomach, neck and cervical.
6. Gives more energy and improves mood
By practicing yoga you get increased mental and physical energy . This ascetic discipline sharpens concentration while improving enthusiasm and general mood thanks to the acquisition of a exceptional mental calm . 20 minutes a day of yoga exercises and techniques are enough to relax the mind, leading us to meditate, to rest the mind and make us feel more aware of our body.
7. Helps manage stress
According to the National Institutes of Health, scientific evidence shows that yoga helps fight and manage stress, improve mental health and self-awareness .
Try the “Corpse Pose” also known as “ Savasana” :
- lie down with your limbs gently extended, away from your body, palms up.
- Try to clear your mind as you breathe slowly and deeply, holding this position for 15-20 minutes.
8. It connects you with a community
Participate in yoga classes can relieve loneliness and provides an ideal environment for healing and group support. Even during individual sessions, loneliness is reduced because you are recognized as a unique individual, listened to and participate in the creation of a personalized yoga plan.
Beginners are welcome
Since there are many different yoga practices, it is possible for anyone to start. Whether you are a lazy person or a professional athlete, fitness level doesn't matter because they are there hundreds of yoga poses and lessons for beginners in every style.
The basic idea must be that of explore your limits, not to strive for perfection for its own sake . It's a great way to get in tune with your body and your inner self. The purpose of yoga is to build strength, awareness and harmony in both mind and body.
Do you want to start practicing yoga? Discover our sets to have everything you need in one go. You choose “The Yoga Set” by Adalù® to also be fashionable during your training sessions.